Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Answers to Short Response Questions - The Setting Sun and the Rolling World

ANSWER KEY
The Setting Sun and the Rolling World
Charles Mungoshi


Answers
Standards
1.   (a) The white speck is an airplane. My inference suggests that
Old Musoni is not comfortable with the modern world and its technologies.
(b) Students should cite the “white metal bird” of paragraph 10
and the “aeroplane” of paragraph 32.
RL.8.1
2.   Throughout the story, the dialogue makes clear that the son has decided to leave the farm and cannot be made to change his mind.
The dialogue about the son's decision reveals that he is someone who relies on his own judgment and has confidence in his abilities. The dialogue also reveals that, despite his differences with his father, he treats him with respect.
Examples:
      “Have you thought about this, son?”
      “For weeks, father.”
      “And you think that’s the only way?”
      “There is no other way.” (paragraphs 6–9)
      “Think again. You will end dead. Think again, of us, of your family. We have a home, poor though it is, but can you think of a day you have gone without?”
      “I have thought everything over, father, I am convinced this is the only way out.” (paragraphs 11 and 12)
      “Really, father, have no fear for me. I will be all right. Give me this chance. Release me from all obligations and pray for me.” (paragraph 17)
RL.8.3
3.   (a) The setting sun is a figurative way of talking about Old Musoni and the poor future for farmers due to bad soil and drought.
The rolling world refers to the busy economy of the outside world that draws his son away.
(b) The word sunblasted helps me understand that it is difficult for Old Musoni to farm his land because the soil is very dry and probably does not support a good harvest.
RL.8.4
4.   In their written responses or discussion, students should
•   identify the conflicting viewpoints of the father, who wants the son to stay on the farm, and the son, who wants to leave for the greater world.
•   cite characters’ thoughts and dialogue and note that they illustrate the conflicting viewpoints that create dramatic irony. For example, the father’s thoughts are angrier than his words: What do you know of the false honey bird that leads you the whole day through the forest to a snake’s nest? But all he said was “Look. What have you asked me and I have denied you? What, that I have, have I not given you for the asking?” (paragraph 15). The son also has more defiant thoughts than his words: I am armed more than you think and wiser than you can dream of. But all he said, too, was “Really, father, have no fear for me. I will be all right. Give me this chance.” (paragraph 17)
•   explain that even though the father and son are polite to each other, the reader knows what they are thinking, so for the reader, the dramatic irony makes the conflict more intense.
For example, the son says, “All. You have given me all, father.” But he thinks, You have sent me to school and told me the importance of education, and now you ask me to throw it on the rubbish heap and scrape for a living on this tired cold shell of the moon. (paragraph 16) Some students may suggest that the main conflict takes place in the characters’ thoughts.
RL.8.6

2 comments:

  1. thank u for the cheat sheet, i had no clue what i was doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Analyzing poetry page 63 questions 1 and 2

    ReplyDelete